chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Forum Closing December 1, 2020

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Forum Closing December 1, 2020

Post  chessgod101 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Dear chessgod101 users,
When I created this forum in 2009, I had no anticipation that this community would grow to the magnitude of where it is today. Chess was very important to me in my youth. It helped me turn my life around when I was a struggling high school student. It also led me to meet my now ex-wife from the Philippines. When that relationship ended badly, it left me with little desire to play chess. I no longer feel the passion to play the game, as it causes me to relive those painful memories when I do. The upkeep of the site, with the constant spamming and seemingly never ending DMCA requests, has taken up a lot of my free time. The limited interface for this forum also makes deleting spam very difficult, as it requires me to delete posts one at a time. With my hectic work schedule, on top of my other responsibilities, it has made giving the forum the attention it deserves impossible. It is because of these factors, that I have decided to shutdown the forum indefinitely December 1st. I want to thank everyone for all of the hard work that went into keeping this forum active and prosperous throughout its lifetime. It is just time for me to move on.

Last edited by chessgod101 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
chessgod101
chessgod101

https://chessgod101.forumotion.net

grousey, JeffJ, Odinz5, mbirer, qwerty, andrewsteinitz, Shar and mindlesskinghunter like this post

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Take-Care Bro

Post  e4player on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 am

I think i speek for eveyone when i say thank you for starting all this in the first place,it must of been hard to come to this decision
but it sounds like its for the best move for now.
They say time heals all wounds but i think you just realy learn to live with things better so just give everything time k.
i once had to give up chess myself for many years as i went a bit of the head lol maybe one day you will get back into chess ,who knows ?

Hope everything works out for you
Take Care

e4player

Birdy, grousey, chessblogger, andrewsteinitz and Big_pawn_45 like this post

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Re: Forum Closing December 1, 2020

Post  immortal on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Hello cg,
This is a very unfortunate news - You truly did something amazing with this forum.

Thanks for all your work.

immortal

grousey, chessblogger, andrewsteinitz and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteKingCHESS on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:38 pm

You did a great work. All the best .
WhiteKingCHESS
WhiteKingCHESS

grousey, chessblogger, andrewsteinitz and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Thank you

Post  mackavalanche on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Thank you and all the best my friend! This has always been a place where anyone could come and regroup, especially when other forums went down. All the best with your future endeavors!!

Mack

mackavalanche

grousey, chessfun, chessblogger and andrewsteinitz like this post

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty .

Post  chessblogger on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Dear CG.
Stay well and enjoy your time. Thanks for all.

chessblogger

andrewsteinitz and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpore on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Very clear explanations for doing so. Thanks for all hard work and time you spent in forum

Last edited by Scorpore on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorpore
Scorpore

andrewsteinitz and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Thank You.

Post  The Rook on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Sad news. I wish you well in your endeavours.
The Rook
The Rook

adnan, andrewsteinitz and doctormoy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_pawn_45 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Sad to hear this. Please take care.

Big_pawn_45

Back to top Go down

Post  extremum on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:26 pm

chessgod101 wrote:Dear chessgod101 users,
When I created this forum in 2009, I had no anticipation that this community would grow to the magnitude of where it is today. Chess was very important to me in my youth. It helped me turn my life around when I was a struggling high school student. It also led me to meet my now ex-wife from the Philippines. When that relationship ended badly, it left me with little desire to play chess. I no longer feel the passion to play the game, as it causes me to relive those painful memories when I do. The upkeep of the site, with the constant spamming and seemingly never ending DMCA requests, has taken up a lot of my free time. The limited interface for this forum also makes deleting spam very difficult, as it requires me to delete posts one at a time. With my hectic work schedule, on top of my other responsibilities, it has made giving the forum the attention it deserves impossible. It is because of these factors, that I have decided to shutdown the forum indefinitely December 1st. I want to thank everyone for all of the hard work that went into keeping this forum active and prosperous throughout its lifetime. It is just time for me to move on.
bbb That is the most egoistic decision you will ever made in your whole life. You created this masterpiece and help a lof of people in all the world. If I have the chance to help so many people i would be the happiest guy in the whole world.You think that is not enough to keep it doing? Women will come to your life and leave it - that's normal. Monogamy is piece of "do not use profanity". Love is piece of "do not use profanity" because you can love someone for month or two, even for a year, but then the passion will start dying slowly and slowly and the love also will die. Chess is forever and will never leave you!

extremum

AnjumSKhan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  immortal on Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:22 am

extremum wrote:bbb That is the most egoistic decision you will ever made in your whole life. You created this masterpiece and help a lof of people in all the world. If I have the chance to help so many people i would be the happiest guy in the whole world.You think that is not enough to keep it doing? Women will come to your life and leave it - that's normal. Monogamy is piece of "do not use profanity". Love is piece of "do not use profanity" because you can love someone for month or two, even for a year, but then the passion will start dying slowly and slowly and the love also will die. Chess is forever and will never leave you!

Oh people like you are disgust, parasites that should not be in a chess forum. Have some dignity you troll, whilst you do not have any life yourself and sit on your computer and act like god, while you have 0% knowledge, patience and understanding of how world works.

He created this gem and you should appreciate him for being there till it lasted.

and ofcourse, If only the members here kept the forum clean, spamfree and respectful he would have maybe not taken this decision.

Remember, people like you are the only reason people lose patience and interest.

immortal

grousey, andrewsteinitz and chesscostly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  chessgod101 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am

Another thing I would like to clarify is that when I founded this forum, computer chess was my only interest. I generally have no interest in training materials, but allowed them to be shared for the sake of the community. These training materials make up the vast majority of the DMCA takedown requests I receive. I also truly feel the golden age of computer chess has come and gone. I really enjoyed the pre-ippolit days where there were many fierce competitors developing a vast variety of engines. It was fun to come online and download the latest versions and run simulations to determine how it ranked amongst the rest. However, testing programs today requires tens of thousands of games to discern any gain in strength from mere statistical noise. I don't have the time or means to run these cumbersome tests. I had a transitory burst of excitement when Komodo 14 was released. Alas, when the testing revealed how far behind it was from stockfish, I realized that there is little hope for future advancements. It appears the Houdini chess project has been abandoned and Hiarcs and Shredder haven't been updated in many years. It is because of this that I've decided this forum has outlived its usefulness.
chessgod101
chessgod101

https://chessgod101.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kinda-47 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:10 am

chessgod101 wrote: I really enjoyed the pre-ippolit days where there were many fierce competitors developing a vast variety of engines.  It was fun to come online and download the latest versions and run simulations to determine how it ranked amongst the rest.

I agree with you. It certainly was much more enjoyable then.

I remember the old Ivanhoe/Ippolit days fondly. I, too, downloaded the latest compiles from peterpan, KLO and many others. Here and from the original Immortal forums.  I followed all the Rybka, Houdini and Ivanhoe testing threads religiously. I still occasionally go back to the old Immortal and chessgod forums via archive.org. to relive the many fond memories from those years. I even remember your presence at immortal223.borda.ru years ago!

I want to thank you, personally, for maintaining this forum through the years. chessgod101 was the second chess forum I joined in this lifetime.

I wish you much success in all your future endeavors. Take care.

Last edited by Kinda-47 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Kinda-47

chesscostly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  tishanddash on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:35 pm

fairuzt wrote:Anyway, whoever the ruler is, so says the Lord: if they continue with the abortion, and worshiping Baal and Beelzebu and the devil then I will blow their country to ashes and the wind will scatter them throughout the earth.

iTS BECAUSE OF ASS WIPES LIKE YOU HE HAS HAD ENOUGH ,, WHAT HAVE YOU EVER DONE FOR ANY FORUM BUT CRAPPED ON IT

tishanddash

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Thanks for the everything!

Post  ulvi95 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Dear Chessgod101!

Thanks for the everything! I hope you will keep the archive of the forum, so that it would be possible to restore in the future.

ulvi95

rockingram likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  qwe on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:21 pm

Dear Chessgod101

Thank you for the forum! I Hope you change your decision. This is the best chess forum in the Internet!
Please dont shut dont the forum.

I ask everyone. Where do we go now? What the alternative?

qwe

lazza4, janusz, qwerty, rockingram and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rockingram on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:18 am

Respected gentleman,
It's sad and unfortunate to know that this forum will be closed indefinitely. You have done a great job sir. Hope at any point of time in future we will meet again through this forum.
Thank you very much.

rockingram

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty closing the forum

Post  pauichess44 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:58 am

It is a very bad new. It is the worse decision for the members of this forum.

pauichess44

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Thank you for all the work

Post  jessy on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the effort you put into creating and maintaining the site. Sometimes life has gotten in the way of my love for chess but I always end up coming back.

Good luck in your endeavors. It should be said that you made an awesome contribution to the internet chess community.

jessy

qwerty and AnjumSKhan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  tishanddash on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 pm

... Sad

Last edited by tishanddash on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

tishanddash

Back to top Go down

Post  tishanddash on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 pm

wish you'd consider an extension so members could wish you and others a Happy New Year ,,, fare thee well Idea Arrow

Last edited by tishanddash on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

tishanddash

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhaber8888 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Thank you for all that you gave for so many years. And also, thank you for the heads up on the closure of the forum. It would have been so easy to just disappear but, instead, you allowed members to have a last chance to communicate. You were also brave to subject yourself to the ungracious comments of those members who do not appreciate how much you saved them or how difficult it is to run a forum. It is a journey of selflessness and dedication with a reward of only knowing how much you gave to the community and the gratitude of those who understood. Again, thank you, and may you enjoy health and good luck in the future.

johnhaber8888

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty Mabuhay Chessgod101!!!

Post  SQL on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:08 am

Thank you very much for making this forum!
This place is a real gem for those lacking money to get some real chess stuff.
I am very lucky to be one of the millions who benefited from this.

Take care and most of all be happy!

SQL

Back to top Go down

Forum Closing December 1, 2020 Empty alternative

Post  sergeyxvj on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 pm

https://immortalchessforum.com/
alternative

sergeyxvj

qwerty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  tishanddash on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:31 pm

sergeyxvj wrote:https://immortalchessforum.com/  
alternative
This is nothing like the immortal forum and nothing remotely near as good as this forum or as good as the worst chess forum anywhere else Evil or Very Mad

tishanddash

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next