chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB)

Go down

Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB) Empty Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB)

Post  erc on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:30 am

Kindly please share any material movies, pgn or CB files on Hippopotamus opening. Thank you!

erc

Back to top Go down

Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB) Empty Re: Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB)

Post  ggeorg on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Check the dedicated chapter in The Modern Tiger:

http://www.chessgod101.com/t4505-the-modern-tiger-by-tiger-hillarp-persson?highlight=tiger

This is the best written source available.

Also look at the games of Thorsten Haub who specializes in it and has played many instructive Hippos.

ggeorg

Back to top Go down

Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB) Empty Re: Material on Hippo (pgn, movies, CB)

Post  sorbet on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Some PGN, movies, CB:

Romans-Encyclopedia-Openings Volume 117 (Modern, Hippo)

Lilov - Original & Smart- The Hippopotamus Defence

Lilov - Unorthodox Openings 2010 CB

Perelshteyn (ChessLecture.com) - Taming the Hippo

Monokroussos (ChessLecture.com) - Sinking the Hippo

Martin, Foxy 76 The Hippo with 1...b6, ...g6

Dzindzichashvili (Chess.com) - How to Destroy the Hippo! - see below

https://www.solidfiles.com/v/WqePVvPRMvmnQ

Some Books

Easy Guide to the Hippo Attack & Defence by Eric Briffoz

Briffoz - The Hippo System, 3rd ed (2018)

Chatur Nitin - Dynamic Hippo Defense.B00, 2011

Martin Andrew - The Hippopotamus Rises, 2005

Alburt & Lawrence - Chess Cafe - Hoisting the Hippopotamus - 1-22

Where to get them? From your favorite providers, of course! lol!

sorbet

Back to top Go down

Post  ggeorg on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 pm

I agree completely that it is worth reminding people that it is good to use the Forum Search functionality with the keyword "Hippo".
Yet on the purely chess aspects:
Alburt & Lawrence - Chess Cafe - Hoisting the Hippopotamus - 1-22 ----- it is just the name of a chess column. Its articles does not contain info on the Hippo AFAIK.
Rest of the mentioned books are suitable strictly for players <2000 ELO. If the interested person is targeting opposition higher rated than this, they will not do the job and actually may misguide the perception of the opening.

The videos are of the same level- strictly for beginners and players <2000 ELO. The video by Dzindzichashvili is particularly misleading as it demonstrates horrible play by black that simply will not happen at master level.

For the master level and up the Modern Tiger is the best. There was also a decent chapter by Lackdawala in his book on the modern. Basically if you want to play the Hippo at serious level be ready to perform the analysis and preparation by yourself. Actually this is the main advantage of this opening- black build risky but flexible position throwing both himself and the opponent in unexplored territory.

ggeorg

Back to top Go down

Post  sorbet on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 pm

1) Yes, Alburt & Lawrence - Chess Cafe is he last one on the list and it was included by mistake.

2) erc didn't didn't mentioned anything about levels. He/she only asked for material pgn, movies, CB. I've given more than what was asked.

3) I disagree with you that the material I've cited are for beginners. The Dzindzichashvili uploaded is to get a flavor of this opening. If you go through the material, then you will find the first cited in my list - Roman-Encyclopedia-Openings Volume 117 is a follow up. Roman wsn't happy with the material presented, so he spend time with engines to find better plans. But you would have to watch the video to know this.

4) The same can be said about "Perelshteyn (ChessLecture.com) - Taming the Hippo" Here is another GM showing how to play this opening using his plans. I believe these material are good for all levels. I'll leave that to the readers.

5) From what can tell, Eric Briffoz is an expert. 2018 is the most recent book I am able to find in this opening.

6) To clarify, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I was answering erc independently.

sorbet

Back to top Go down

Post  ggeorg on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 am

Dear Sorbet, I was not intending to devalue your reply. Apologies if it sounded like that.

As of Dzindzichashvili I have seen only How to Destroy the Hippo! video and it is indeed missing the point. However I think it is quite old, from the time when the proper move orders and strategies for black have not evolved. I am familiar with the rest of the materials as well.

I think actually we both have replied to the original question and this is what matters. Now there is plenty of sources for Erc to take a look and see what will work best for him.

ggeorg

Back to top Go down

Post  sorbet on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Both Romans-Encyclopedia-Openings Volume 117 & Persson - The Modern Tiger are released in 2014. I am attaching the material for convenience for the readers.

Both Persson - Tiger 2005 & 2014 versions:

https://www.solidfiles.com/v/gnAWB8BKrzQqy

Volume 117-Romans-Encyclopedia-Openings:

https://www.solidfiles.com/v/RKVqXmmaPVZLp

Since you are "familiar with the rest of the materials as well", I'll let you have the honor of uploading the balance. Smile This concludes my role in this thread.

sorbet

Back to top Go down

Post  ggeorg on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 am

I have already pointed Erc to the corresponding thread of the Modern Tiger where the book can be downloaded. And, Yes, I tend to be picky to chess materials. The fact that something got published does not necessarily means that it is good. Critical perception is always plus especially when preparing for competition.

ggeorg

Back to top Go down

Post  erc on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Dear all,
Thank you!
I appreciate each and everyone of the replies.

erc

Back to top Go down

Post  sorbet on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 pm

"I tend to be picky to chess materials"... You mean you don't have any material Very Happy

I missed one important source presented by both Persson & Williams: Tiger on the Modern - GingerGM - SIMMON WILLIAMS. You can then compare notes with other sources and the move orders.

https://www.gingergm.com/shop/tiger-on-the-modern

You can also find free materials from YouTube. Here is a handful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_SlkK8Py0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeEkdPHPtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OirAUDpvhP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhw6nnHgbeA

Lastly, I got another laugh reading Roman’s Lab Chess DVD Entire Collection thread. Someone is requesting for volumes 117, but it is already uploaded in this thread. Razz This really has to be my last post in this interesting thread.

sorbet

Back to top Go down

Post  ggeorg on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 am

Sorbet, it really does not make sense to be aggressive and disrespectful to each other although the anonymity of Internet encourages certain type of instincts and behavior.

I already shared the link to the forum thread on the material that according to my (master level player) judgment is the best on the Hippo. Should I re-paste the links that are already available on the thread specifically dedicated to the book??? I do not think so. The work is already available and the people that shared it deserve the due credit. Also I pointed him to examine the games of strong systematic practitioner of the opening which IMHO is far better source of knowledge than reading/listening materials that are done in the rush for quick cash by players that are either retired and/or exclusively focused on making living from tutoring for beginners.

I do not recommend other books as particularly if Erc is interested in the opening from Black's point of view everything else that I have actually read (not simply checked by keywords in title) is much behind. Chess is a game of application, and focused and precise knowledge works better than broad and unspecific. As I do not consider the other sources to match the level of the Modern Tiger I do not point to them. As simple as that.

Still I do not doubt the usefulness of your suggestions as depending on Erc's level and aims he may need more advanced or more basic material. It is good that Erc has a choice and he may pick up what suits him best. Erc, if you have interest to a particular position/line in the Hippo feel welcome to start a discussion. I love interesting positions and was always glad to share thoughts on them at Immortal.

ggeorg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down